Here at Bailey Orthodontics, we are proud to offer temporomandibular joint (TMJ) treatments for our patients.
Many people suffer from joint and/or muscle pain on a daily basis due to a breakdown in the temporomandibular joint complex (TMJ). The temporomandibular complex consists of the temporomandibular joints, or jaw joints, which connect your lower jawbone to your skull and all the biting muscles which control the movement of the lower jaw.
The joints are essential for daily function and get significant use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement. Healthy joints are the foundation of a healthy bite.
Symptoms of TMJ include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you are experience any of the above symptoms, don’t hesitate to contact us today. We will schedule an appointment and can help advise you as to whether your symptoms indicate the presence of TMJ, and what sort of treatment is appropriate for you. We will do everything we can to help you have a beautiful, pain-free smile!