Orthodontics is for all ages! Many adults are choosing to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- TMJ disorders which can include pain in the joints and the muscles
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference in receiving treatment as an adult compared to teenagers and children is that in younger patients, the jaw structure is still developing and growing. For adults, the bones in the jaw have stopped growing, which may require orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) – Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. We recommend that all adults visit their dentist/hygienist every three months while in active treatment. Patients with straighter teeth following orthodontic treatment are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth – Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Retreatment of past Orthodontic treatment – Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but were not informed of the importance of retainer wear. We have adults going through limited or full treatment to correct relapse concerns.
Treatment Options For Adults
Our practice offers small metal or clear brackets as well as Invisalign. Invisalign uses a series of invisible, removable, aligners that are much less noticeable than traditional braces. Invisalign is made with 3-D computer imaging technology and has been proven to be very effective with the appropriate diagnosis and treatment selection.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth – Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and they may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence – Orthodontic treatment can improve your self-confidence allowing you to be excited about smiling!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse – Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues that cost you more in the end.
At Bailey Orthodontics, we recognize that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us. To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice at 719-598-2800 to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.